Essential Checklist For Building A Custom Home
Custom-built homes are the right choice for homeowners with personal preferences regarding design, materials, features, location and other features. However, to get the most out of the process of building a custom home, it is essential to be aware of the stages involved in construction and factors that impact the overall cost and efficiency of the project.
Listed below is a checklist containing essential steps involved in building a custom home:
- Hiring An Expert: The first point on this checklist involves researching and looking for a reputed, experienced and knowledgeable custom home builder.
- Lot Selection: Choosing a piece of land that suits your financial and personal requirements is one of the initial steps in building a custom home. The land should be suitable for the type of home you want and should be at a suitable location as per your lifestyle.
- Draft A Plan: If you have a plan in your mind, discuss it with builders to ensure it is as per the general engineering standards stated in the building code. If you do not have a plan, you can choose from the custom home plans provided by builder’s team of architects and customize the same as per your requirements.
- A Contract: Before commencing the building project, a contract should be drafted with details of the project, the budget, specifications, details of building materials (brand and make), sub-contract assignments and various costs involved.
- Budget Allocation: On finalizing the plan for your home, allocate a budget for the same as this will determine the structural changes and materials used on the house. Keep in mind that features like flooring, modular kitchen, choice of paint, design of products, electrical fittings and switches, etc. will impact the overall costs.
- Schedule: A proper schedule of construction should be created for the tasks involved and for payments to be made.
- Approvals: Make it a point to have necessary approvals such as a sanctioned plan, consent letters from the concerned departments, insurance, structural report, no-objection certificates, etc. pertaining to building the house.
- Construction Updates: Builder should provide timely updates on the construction process for the homeowner to track the progress and ensure that everything is as per the construction plan.
- Project Completion: Towards the completion of the project, builders will conduct a pre-settlement walkthrough to familiarize you with your new house. It is at this stage that warranty procedures and coverage, as well as maintenance and upkeep responsibilities, are reviewed.