Tips to Maintain your Duplex in Winters
A little bit of maintenance goes a long way in preparing your duplex for the winter season. It keeps issues like a sudden need for repairs at bay and ensures all vents and drainage systems work optimally. It is advisable to consult an expert to prepare your duplex as per the season’s requirements.
Here is a list of things to do for keeping your duplex in great condition throughout winter:
- Unclog the Drains: Gutters and drainage systems should be cleaned before winter sets in to prevent cases of roof damage due to winter rain. A clogged drain is likely to put unwanted stain on the roof of your duplex and affect the guttering.
- Clean Dryer Vents: As winter progresses, you are likely to use your dryer more so it is important to clean its vents beforehand. Regularly cleaning dryer vents also prevents cases of fire and improves energy efficiency.
- Check the Electrical System: Schedule a maintenance session for your electrical system to check for issues like sparking, discoloration and bad insulation. Also, conduct a test on your GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter), electrical cords and wall sockets.
- Seal Doors and Windows: Open and close all the windows and doors of your duplex to check for gaps between seals. For old doors and windows, consider adding new weather-stripping to prevent air leaks and conserve energy.
- Bleed your Radiators: The process of bleeding ensures radiators run at maximum capacity and efficiency throughout winter. The process involves releasing air that is trapped in the heating system. Experts recommend bleeding radiators once a year.
- Check Exterior Pipes: To prevent frozen pipes and the problems that ensue because of them, check the condition of your exterior pipes for signs of wear and tear. Unchecked pipes pose a threat for cracked pipes and structural damage. Insulate pipes in areas of your duplex that do not require heating e.g. the garage, near windows, doors and in the basement.
- Prepare your Patio: Inspect and assess the condition of your patio as winter approaches to prevent damage from cycles of freezing and thawing. Repair any damage you notice immediately t prevent it from escalating into a bigger issue during winter.
- Check the Fireplace and Chimney: If you are an avid user of a fireplace, check its condition beforehand. Also, clean the chimney by getting rid of ash, and wood, checking for any cracks and giving it a good sweep.